Teachers are eligible to apply for the Ignited Summer Fellowship Program if they meet the following requirements:
- Teach in Our Service Area
- Must currently teach any grade, K-16, full-time in Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz or Solano County.
- All teachers must be contracted to teach full-time during the following school year.
- Committed to Teaching
- Completed at least two years of full-time teaching in any discipline by June of the current school year.
- Committed to continuing to teach for at least the next three years.
- Able and Available to Work Full-Time in a Non-Teaching Job
- Have a legal right and necessary documents to work in the US in a non-teaching job.
- Available full-time during standard business hours for the Fellowship period.
Ignited Fellows are required to:
- Complete an eight-week Fellowship, working 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week during standard business hours. Ignited may approve minor adjustments to length of Fellowship. At least six weeks of any Fellowship must be held during the core eight week Fellowship period (June 10 – August 2, 2019).
- Complete Fellowship project assigned by Host organization.
- Design and implement an Education Transfer Plan (ETP) for applying the summer experience during the academic year. Earning a passing score on the ETP rubric is required for the Fellow to earn all grant money and be eligible for future Ignited Fellowships.
- Attend the following meetings to support Education Transfer:
- Ignited Orientation
- One-on-one sessions with Ignited Coach
- Community Group meetings
- Complete a survey at the end of the summer and a Fellowship impact report after implementing their ETP.
- Forgo soliciting or accepting employment from their Ignited Host organization.
- Return to teaching the following school year.
No, however, a long-term sub assignment of 3 or more months may count towards the requirement, depending on your situation.
In addition to working on a corporate or research project, each Ignited Fellow is required to develop a specific plan for transferring the Ignited experience back into his or her classroom or school. This Education Transfer Plan (ETP) could be a lesson or unit in a specific content area or one that integrates different disciplines, a classroom project, staff development, or a unit on career exploration. The ETP is designed to benefit both the Ignited Fellow and the education community at large as ETPs are published on Ignited’s websites. Visit Sample Projects to see exemplary ETPs.
Each ETP is evaluated using a rigorous rubric. This rubric is made available to all Fellows prior to the start of the Fellowship program. Earning a passing score on the rubric is required for the Fellow to earn all grant money and be eligible for future Ignited Fellowships.
Each Fellow is expected to spend part of the Fellowship developing this plan and will receive support from an Ignited Coach. It is advised that you keep the Mentor informed about your progress on the ETP as they will be asked to sign off on the final product.
SCHEDULE AND TIMEFRAME
The standard Fellowship period is June 10, 2019 to August 2, 2019. This is somewhat flexible as we recognize that different school districts have different calendars. Although the exact start and end dates can be negotiated with Ignited and your Fellowship Host, each teacher is required to work the full eight-weeks during standard business hours and six weeks of the Fellowship must overlap with our core 8-week Fellowship period.
Any variations needed from the start and end dates listed above MUST be discussed on page nine of your application and cleared through Ignited in advance of accepting an Ignited Fellowship.
Each Fellowship is eight weeks long. Each week will be 40 hours of work during standard business hours. Teachers devote approximately 10% of their time to working on Ignited related activities, including developing their Education Transfer Plan and attending Ignited meetings.
The standard Fellowship period is 8 weeks and the vast majority of Fellowship Hosts will be seeking Fellows to work a full 8-week position. Some Host organizations may offer a limited number of 7-week Fellowships. On the application you will have the opportunity to indicate whether you are available for an 8-week Fellowship, 7-week Fellowship or both. Please note that only being available for a 7-week position does limit the opportunities available to you and your chances of being selected for a Fellowship.
No, this arrangement does not result in a successful Fellowship experience for either the Fellow or the Host organization. All Ignited Fellows are required to work 40 hours per week for 8 weeks over the summer during standard business hours.
Your 8 weeks must be completed within the 12-week period of June 3rd – August 23rd and must include Orientation, Education Transfer Plan (ETP) Review, and end of Fellowship events. You have some flexibility within this time period provided you inform us of your scheduling needs by listing them on Page 9 of the online application and reiterating these needs before you accept a Fellowship.
Ignited will begin posting Fellowship Projects in March. The interview and selection process will begin in March and can last all the way into June. Although we encourage Mentors to begin interviewing in early March, this timeline, although helpful to teachers, is not always feasible for Mentors who may post projects and interview teachers well into May, and even early June.
Fellowship placement varies by Host. Don’t count on it happening overnight or in a week. A more realistic time frame is 3 weeks. If, after 3 weeks, you haven’t heard anything about a position in which you expressed interest, you still see the position unfilled at the Ignited website, and would like to know more, feel free to contact Syreeta to find out the status.
Mentors contact and interview teachers for Fellowships from March through early June. The majority of teachers are hired in April and May. The longer an applicant can stay actively involved in the process of seeking a Fellowship, the greater his/her chances of being selected for a Fellowship, so we highly encourage teachers to apply early.
Many applicants are offered a Fellowship position in late spring (even in mid-June!), so your ability to be flexible could help you to be placed. That said, we understand if you have to make another decision before you are placed. We just ask you to let us know as soon as you are no longer available so we can pull your application from the pool. All of the information you entered into the application will remain in our database so you won’t have to start from scratch to re-apply in the future.
Please contact Ignited immediately to let us know any changes in your schedule and update your application to reflect these changes. Ignited must approve all schedule changes and we will work directly with the Host organization to communicate and seek approval of these requests.
BENEFITS OF HOLDING A SUMMER FELLOWSHIP
You can earn up to $9,000 during your Ignited Summer Fellowship. Your gross pay will be $7,000 in stipend for the summer. In addition, each Teacher Fellow is eligible to receive up to $2,000 in grant money for completing an Education Transfer Plan and an Impact Report detailing the impact of the Summer Fellowship Program on his/her teaching practice and the results of implementing the Education Transfer plan during the following school year.
You can earn 32 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) through Sacramento State University’s College of Continuing Education for successful completion of the Ignited Summer Fellowship Program and program requirements. The registration fee for the units is $80. The units cannot be issued retroactively, so Fellows that would like to earn them, must register during the summer in which they participate in the Summer Fellowship Program. If you have questions, please contact Ignited’s Fellowship Manager, Syreeta Watkins at firstname.lastname@example.org.
One of the remarkable observations that teachers make year after year is how re-energized and revitalized they feel after an Ignited Fellowship. Ignited Fellow Brad O’Connor said it best, “I started my Fellowship a mere weekend after the last day of school, and finished with only a week and half until the first day of the new school year. But when school started I hit the ground running. I had twice the energy and none of the dread. It’s all a bit counter-intuitive, but it may be that I stayed in a productive mode all summer and didn’t have trouble switching gears when the school year arrived.”
Ignited recruits organizations from Alameda, Contra Costa, Los Angeles, Marin, San Diego, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz and Solano Counties. The majority of Fellowships are offered in Berkeley, Palo Alto, San Jose, Santa Clara, and Sunnyvale.
Some Fellowships offer telecommute options on a very limited basis, but since an important part of your Fellowship is experiencing a new and different work environment, telecommuting is not encouraged.
STEP ONE: Are you eligible for a Fellowship?
STEP TWO: Login/Register! (Only teachers who have completed the Ignited Site Registration can apply to the Summer Fellowship Program. A teacher only needs to register at the Ignited site once.)
STEP THREE: Apply – Please visit Application Tips for on demand tips for completing the online application that will increase your chances of being selected for an Ignited Fellowship.
STEP FOUR: Principal returns administrator support form sent via email.
If you forgot your password, you can retrieve it by following this link and entering either your Username or your email address. The email address you enter MUST be the same one you used when you registered with Ignited.
Our system will then email you a link to reset your password. On occasion, this system generated email can be blocked if it is mistaken for spam by your email filters. If the email is blocked or you experience any other problems with resetting your password, please send an email to email@example.com and we will be happy to assist you.
If you have already applied for the Summer Fellowship Program, you can always update your online application by logging into https://www.igniteducation.org, and clicking on My Application. You can select any page and make changes. Just be sure to click the “Save Draft” button on the bottom of the changed page. Alternatively, you can also select “Next” or “Previous”, which will also save your changes. Your application will automatically update as soon as you save your edits.
If you have a change of address or contact information please update page one (Personal Information) of your application by following the steps above.
If you have already applied for an Ignited Fellowship in a past summer, log in using the same Username and Password. This ensures that the content of your previous application rolls into your application for this year. Review each page of your application to ensure the information is accurate and up-to-date. Please be sure to save changes you happen to make. Please note that the system will require you to step through each page as a way of confirming the content has been reviewed. The easiest way is to do this is to (while in “Edit” mode) scroll down to the bottom and hit “Next” which will also save any changes you happen to make.
Once you have reviewed and updated all nine pages of the application, you MUST click the “submit for review” button on the bottom of page 9, the Agreement page, in order to be considered for the summer of 2019.
Ignited will email your administrator upon receipt of your 2019 Summer Fellowship Application. Ignited must receive a response email stating your Administrator’s support of your participation in the program in order to complete the application process.
Ignited accepts applications on an ongoing basis; however it is strongly recommended that applicants complete the online application process, including a Principal’s endorsement by February 15th, 2019. This will ensure that your application will be in the applicant pool and ready to go when the Fellowship matching process begins in March. Last year, 75% of the teachers offered Fellowships completed their application before the end of March.
Yes! Ignited receives close to 200 applications for fewer than 80 Fellowship positions. Remember to be proactive throughout the process and market yourself in the best possible way. Once you’ve become an approved applicant and Fellowship opportunities are posted on the Ignited website, you will receive information on how to express interest in available positions.
Yes! On-demand support in the Applicant Support Center provide many tips and suggestions for improving your chances of being placed. In addition, we recommend:
- Complete a strong application. Take the time to complete all sections of your application thoroughly and accurately. We recommend that you answer each of the Personal Statement questions in a word processing program first and use spell check, to ensure that there are no typos before copying and pasting your responses into the online application form.
- Express interest in several projects within a week of posting. Once your Ignited application is approved and the Fellowship Projects have been posted (beginning in early March), you can log into your account, click on “Find Positions” and explore the options. Once you have identified some positions that appeal to you, you can post Statements of Interest in specific Fellowship positions.
- View new projects regularly. We recommend checking the website frequently to view new positions as they are posted and express interest in those that appeal to you within a week of the project posting. Like our page on Facebook and/or follow us on Twitter to be the first to know about new Hosts and Fellowship opportunities as they are added.
- Be responsive and flexible. Applicants maximize their chances of being selected by checking email frequently, responding to inquiries immediately and keeping their summer schedule open as long as possible.
- Stay active. The longer a candidate can stay actively involved in the process of seeking a Fellowship, the greater his/her chances of being contacted and hired, so we highly encourage teachers to apply early. Last year, 75% of the teachers who secured Fellowships applied before the end of March.